The BX-700AL Compact Geochemical Box Corer is a modification on an original design developed by Andy Soutar of Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, California that has been extensively used in organic carbon, texture and trace metals research since the mid 1970’s. A number of unique modifications and changes have been in the design to make at-sea operations both time and cost effective.
The compact corer features a removeable box and adjustable weight pack consisting of 12 lead weights. Standard features include a specially designed flow-through box to reduce corer “”bow wake”” effect, Teflon® slides for smooth corer penetration, adjustable penetration limit stops and pretrip safety pin. All aluminum parts are anodized or painted with a two-part marine grade epoxy. Eight or more weights can be attached to the frame for use during heavy weather. A special mold for casting lead frame and main weights is provided with each corer. The compact frame size facilitates the use of this corer on smaller vessels of approximately 8 meters or greater with “A Frame” clearances of as little as 155cm. Small capacity winches and lightweight cable can be safely used to raise and lower the corer.
The Compact Corer provides undisturbed sediment samples with easy access for immediate inspection. The use of a second box reduces ‘on deck’ turnaround to less than five minutes between successive drops for replicate samples.
- Material – Aluminum (6061-T6) Stainless steel fasteners (type 304)
- Frame Size – 110cm x 110cm x 110cm.
- Recovery height – 155cm (tripped condition)
- Box Area – .062m2, 25.4cm x 25.4cm x 60cm
- Box Style – Removeable with arms and spades (2 bolt removal)
- Box Material – Standard box 6061-T6, optional 304 stainless available
- Box Seal – Single door system above (bungee actuated), 2 jaw spade below (closed with bridles)
- Weight – Total weight 312 kilos
- Operating Depths – No restrictions, deep or shallow
- Vessel Requirements – Approximately 8 meters (26 feet)
Compact Geochemical Box Corer with one removable aluminum box, 0.062m2 sample area, complete and ready for deployment. Weight mold included.
Box, aluminum with Teflon® coated interior. Fitted with spade rotators, complete set of arms and spades. Box and arms a single unit.
Box, stainless. Fitted with spade rotors, complete with stainless spades.